Sunday, November 22, 2009

Hitch Your (Chuck)Wagon to a Star

Thanks to Ralph Waldo Emerson, I am today proud to say I have tried Indian (the country, not Native Americans or other Indian peoples) food, Thai, and Bangladeshi cuisine.

Well, not really thanks to Emerson per se, but I just had to throw in the literary reference.

What I think everyone should know is that if the Pickiest Eater in the World (um, formerly, thank you) can try new things, you can, too.

Ten years ago (and back), the most experimental things I would try were Greek or Italian or Mexican fare. Not to knock those things, because I love them. But I wouldn't even try authentic. That means no lamb, no goat, nothing much other than baklava with Greek food.

Okay, so I still don't eat lamb or goat--it's a meat thing I'm not going to discuss--but I do experiment with food, with our fledgling family of 3 (soon to be 4).

That's why I was happy to see this giveaway for a Thai food packet over at the Mission Mommy blog (http://www.mission-mommy.com/), where you can win a Thai Kitchen Curry Kit courtesy of Simply Asia Foods/Real Asian Made Simple (http://www.realasianmadesimple.com/).

So, it is with that former post in mind that I say I'd love to try the bananas in coconut milk. Cocounts have historically marked my top-10 "Do Not Try. Do Not Want to Try. Don't Make Me Try or You'll Be Sorry" list, but today, I'm a bigger (well, metaphorically, not physically) person--and better, too--for having gone outside my comfort food comfort zone.

Your mission today, then, is to try something new that's outside your realm of ordinariness. Be experimental. Be brave.

Bravo!

No comments:

Post a Comment